The Kent village of Eastry has come together to form a new initiative ‘Eastry CAN’ to support its local residents grappling with the cost of living. This winter, Eastry CAN is providing free food vouchers worth £5 each to support individuals and families who can exchange single or multiple vouchers for hot meals or buy food in many of Eastry’s local shops. Funding for Eastry CAN has come from the local business community who have made significant donations totalling £4,500 so far.
Participating local traders
The £5 food vouchers will be distributed by Eastry Primary School and local community workers to residents in need who can then exchange for food or a meal in most of Eastry’s local retailers and food outlets including: S&C Baitup Butcher, Bickers Post Office, The Baker’s Dozen, Eastry Fish Bar, Infinitea Tea Shop and The Five Bells Pub.
Eastry CAN was set up by several long standing Eastry residents including, Nick Lawrance-Ellis, who said,
“We couldn’t just sit back and listen to local people get increasingly worried about how to feed their children or whether to pay for their heating over food. Together a group of like-minded Eastry residents set up Eastry CAN to provide meals in warm places for Eastry villagers who might otherwise be cold and hungry.”
Mary Franks, proprietor of the The Five Bells Pub said,
“I have lived in Eastry 15 years. The community in Eastry has always come together to help each other and provide for those who may be less well off. I am absolutely delighted to offer hearty hot meals in a safe and warm space to local people who may be struggling.”
Eastry CAN has received support from: Eastry Parish Council, Church in Society, Kent Community Foundation, Steve Manion Effective Training Ltd and Select Technology Systems Ltd.
For further information please contact Kate Gibson – telephone 07941 522953.
- Eastry is a civil parish in Kent. It is situated 4km (2½ miles) southwest of Sandwich. It was voted ‘Kent Village of the Year 2005’.
- The population of Eastry is 2492.
- Eastry CAN vouchers are being distributed by local organisations and schools. These organisations will be proactively offering vouchers to people who will benefit.
- If an individual, a family, or if you know of someone who would benefit, please simply talk to a village organisation such as the WI, Scouts, The Five Bells, any of the participating shops, local PCSO Debbie Bishop or the Rev. Andrew Brown, Rector of Eastry.
- For more information, please contact [email protected] or fill in the form on www.eastrycan.org.uk/vouchers
- If you would like to support this excellent initiative – perhaps a businesses, a charity or government organisation please contact Nick Lawrance-Ellis on 07850 474724 or email [email protected]
- Individuals can make donations on our JustGiving Page OR individuals could also win up to £25,000 if supporting us through the Eastry CAN page of the Dover Lotto scheme administered by Dover District Council.
- ‘Eastry CAN’ will also be hosting fundraising events in the village throughout 2023.